3 tablespoons unsalted butter +1/2 tablespoon
1/3 cup flour
2 1/4 cups milk
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Pinch of ground nutmeg
2 cups (about 3/4 pound) grated Gruyere or Emmenthaler Swiss cheese
½ cup grainy mustard
4 slices French country bread (large round loaf)
4 slices ham
1. Start by making the béchamel sauce: Melt the butter in a saucepan over low heat.
Add the flour, and mix briskly with a whisk for 2 minutes. Still over low heat, add 2 cups of the milk, Continuing to whisk briskly. When the sauce comes to a boil, season with salt, pepper and nutmeg.
Remove from the heat, and let cool.
2. Spread butter on one of the side of the bread (will be bottom side)
3. Spread mustard on the other side (top)
4. Top each slice of bread with a slice of ham and then liberally with the béchamel sauce.
5. Sprinkle with the grated gruyere, and cook in an oven or under a broiler until golden brown.
Serve with pomme frites or salad